Sep 25, 2012

Loud...

For some unknown reason, I seem to be receiving emails from Pandora, and not just the typical please subscribe emails.....

This is a plea of a different kind, from the head founder himself (though not really, as I assume it's mass orchestrated, written memo type deal for the company, but I think you get the drift...lol)

The email looks as follows:
Hi there,
This is Tim, the founder of Pandora.
I am writing to ask for your urgent help. An important piece of legislation has just been introduced in Congress that could end long-standing discrimination against Internet radio. I'm asking that you contact your Representative to urge them to support the Internet Radio Fairness Act.
This bipartisan bill will correct the incredible inequity in how different digital radio formats are treated under the law when it comes to setting royalties. The difference is quite extraordinary. In 2011, Pandora paid over 50% of our revenues in performance royalties, while SiriusXM paid less than 10%.
As a lifelong musician, I'm fully supportive of artist compensation, but this situation can't continue. Internet radio is bringing millions of listeners back to music, and is playing the songs of tens of thousands of promising artists who would otherwise never be heard. It should be given a fair chance to succeed.
To voice your support for this initiative, please reach out to your Representative today to say you support the Internet Radio Fairness Act.
Representative: Carolyn Maloney
Washington D.C. Office Number: 202-225-7944
If you'd like more information about the Internet Radio Fairness Act you can learn more here.
It's crucial that Congress hears from fans of Internet radio today. Thanks for your support, and thanks for being a loyal listener.
Tim Westergren
Tim Westergren
Founder, Pandora


Now I'm not really 100% this is in fact truth....I just got the emails, and admittedly should look more into it before posting this blog. BUT...I just wanted to post initial reaction should it indeed be true.

Internet radio is a big deal......it's how many listen to music. I myself had SiriusXM for several years before having to cancel.

Not because I didn't like it, or use it....but it was like $14 a month, which wouldn't be so bad I guess, EXCEPT I've become currently unemployed, and my unemployment benefits have run out, so I have no income coming in to be able to treat myself to that monthly expense. It was that or the phone, and I do need my cell probably bit more than I needed SiriusXM...lol. 

I personally don't think people should have to pay HUGE amounts of money to any of these internet radio companies, but I'm speaking on behalf of perspective of (potential) listener who would wish everything free or pretty cheap...lol. So some bias may be occurring lol.

However, if what is said in the Pandora email is true...why would one business have to pay more of their revenue than another? I thought SiriusXM might be the bigger company, no? Either way....if both are doing the same thing by playing the songs, and therefore have to compensate artists royalties (which is not the complaint I have, nor does it seem Mr. Westergren has)...then shouldn't they be paying the same amount?

I would think ideally that would be the case. Admittedly, I don't know how the math works, but I am just theorizing based on what I've read.

WIth all the progress technology has made, therefore bringing about advancements in the music industry, it also has seemingly brought about more complex, complicated issues as we now have to look into online aspects of music and legalities that come with that. 

VIdeo may have killed the radio star.....but what kinds of complications is the Internet possibly setting us up for?

No comments:

Post a Comment